((((...Ripples))))
Sunday, August 26, 2007
Pak-to-logy
Pak-to, cantonese for dating.

"Pak-to" is made up of 2 Chinese characters:
'Pak' as in clap, (clapping hands) or to flatter / to fawn on; or ,as in docking a ship, parking a car, parking something close to another...

different Chinese character, but I reckon
the word might have evolved to the character used for clapping.

'To' on the other hand, pronounced as "tall" with a silent "ll",
Means to drag, or hold hands
Don't you find that people who hold hands to walk

tend to be slower in their pace?
Like dragging the time their hands are held together?

In Mandarin, it would have to be pronounced as "pai-tuo".

Pak-to-logy, then, is the study (observation) of dating.

The phrase was first coined by a lay preacher,

now pastor, where I was worshipping in London,
way back when...
He used to expound

on the characteristics of couples
who were dating, thus the 'study' of dating.

Now, where is all that leading to?

Oh yeah... haha, as mentioned in my earlier post,


I went a Pak-To.... with my daughter.
We do this quite regularly, by the way,

as often as time allows.
Sometimes, we block out our free time.
Normally, we just let it happen.
Like she'll join me in my shopping,
while waiting for the younger one

to come join us for dinner / lunch / movies, whatever.

With the younger one, we date in other ways...
We'd window shop, or sit and read together,

or eat out, or catch a movie, just the 2 of us.

With the older one, we would end up sharing,

talking about her aspirations and dreams, opinions,
and venting on whatever problems she was having.

The younger one doesn't share as much as

she probably shares with her sister,
but she does rant about school stuff,
or opine about a book, its story line, character and so on,
and you know what?

That's ok with me.

I have always been told that

my girls and I are very close,
and I did not think it was anything out of the ordinary.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying other families are not close.
I am saying that I realised

our relationship has as much friendship in it
as it has of family ties.

The older one invited me to do a test recently,
just to see how much I really do know her.
I scored the second highest!
Her ex-boyfriend, who is still quite close to her,

scored the highest, which is understandable,
as I am sure he would know more about her
when they were

"pak-to-ing".

Actually I was pretty chuffed that I do know her,

her desires, her dreams her aspirations.
I know her friends too, and not in a superficial way.


My younger one? Well, I am working on it,
since she is the quieter kind.
Still, there is time for me to know her.

Perhaps the generational gap
would be narrowed
if we made an effort to get close to our children,
take an interest in what they do,
the friends they hang out with,
the 'philosophy' they take....

But this has to start early,
as they grow up so fast...
It seemed only yesterday
when I had to carry her
as she got tired going out with me....

First draft August 20, 2007, 10.35 am
posted by charisMA @ 1:45 AM  
About Me

Name: charisMA
Home: Singapore
About Me: Mom of 2 amazing n different girls. Love to sing, act n help people, even if it's just with a smile.
See my complete profile
Earworm:

Music: Charis & Enqing
Previous Post
Archives
TALK TO ME!

Links