((((...Ripples))))
Wednesday, December 13, 2006
What Other People Think
A serious question was posed recently about whether I'd be concerned about what other people think about how I raised my girls...

At that point I answered that people will always have negative comments or positive suggestions on how children should be raised and I'm not really bothered about what people think of me.

What the girls post on their blogs, are reflection of their thoughts, and I could only advise them not to come across as anti-establishment or get themselves or their friends into trouble. My concern is more what others will think of them as individuals, character-wise and integrity-wise.

This question lingered on my mind afterwards, and got me thinking, as I had never really given it a thought.... What others think.

Perhaps I should say that not many people had criticised me about how I raised the girls, and those who had, well, all comments and suggestions are received, even processed, but not necessarily acted upon.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm NOT saying I'm the perfect mom.. Hell, the girls can tell you that. I can rant and rave and scream and shout and swear... all in the same breath. I'm only saying I'm trying to do the best I can in the way I think works.

It's like drying clothes. Your neighbours can tell you to hang your clothes outside, or along the common corridor, to 'catch the sun'. But I don't, not always, why? Because where I live, there ain't no sun to catch, only wind. So if I hang my clothes out, the chances are the clothes still won't get dried within a day, but they sure as anything to get blown down, pole and all. (Trust me, it happened a few times)

What I am saying is... What works for these kind souls who meant well, may not work for me. Some are blessed with really docile children, some are challenged with children who needs a firm hand. Each child is different in as much as each family is different. My children are like chalk and cheese. Both free-spirited, but express themselves in totally different ways. One is sensitive in one aspect, the other, well, a different one. Raising children is really trial and error, at least for me.

So if people out there are determined to find fault, be my guest. I admit I have gone wrong, many times, bitterly wrong, but I know that in my "tug & nudge" parenting, my girls know that they always have my support and love.

And lots of prayer.

Period.
posted by charisMA @ 5:35 PM  
About Me

Name: charisMA
Home: Singapore
About Me: Mom of 2 amazing n different girls. Love to sing, act n help people, even if it's just with a smile.
See my complete profile
Earworm:

Music: Charis & Enqing
Previous Post
Archives
TALK TO ME!

Links